So much has happened since my last post. First of all, Tobias has joined our family. After 14 weeks on bed rest, I gave birth in the early hours of Saturday, November 21, 2009. The birthing experience was a little more intense this time. I received my epidural a bit too late, and the contractions came quickly. Nevertheless, the birth was swift and smooth. Tobias came into the world as a fairly quiet baby, and he was serious about getting his sleep. He slept so much I thought it was strange. Everyone said, "Stop complaining." "That's normal and count your blessings." "Enjoy it while it lasts." Of course, he grew out of that sleepy phase, and up until this week (3/9/2010) he has had his days and nights confused.
It has been such a joy to watch Tobias grow and develop little by little each day. During his first few months, he hated to have his diaper changed. You would think he was on fire. Then, after a while, he began to enjoy being bare-bottom during his changes. He laughs and smiles during his diaper changes. Overall, he is such a happy baby…always smiling. He's a healthy baby, or as my pediatrician put it, "He's solid!" He hasn't met a bottle he didn't like. And like his mommy and big brother, he's a talker. Sometimes, he talks himself to sleep with a long series of coos. It is music to our ears. So far, we're pretty certain that he has said, "I love you. Mommy. Daddy. Thank you…" At least, that's what we hear. ;)
Tobias has been a busy newborn. He's had a long list of firsts in the first three months: First Christmas, First Play Date, First Retirement Party, First Birthday Party, First Out of Town Trip.
To the right of this blog, I have listed a few of Tobias' favorite things. At the top of that list is Jonathan. Right now, they are each other's favorite. I didn't have a second child because I yearned to have another. I did it for two reasons: Anthony and Jonathan. Anthony is one of three boys, so another was expected. Anthony is really great and patient with children, and I don't think he could have imagined just having one. Jonathan was the other reason. As an only child, I know the life of being the only. I didn't mind it all until I became an adult. I have become very appreciative of the sibling experience. I wanted Jonathan to have that lifelong bond with another person. I have watched and observed Anthony and his brothers for the past 10+ years, and I truly love the way that they get along. I wanted that for my son. I knew that Jonathan would be an awesome big brother. He doesn't shy away from responsibility, and I knew he'd be a big help. So far, my hunch has been right. Jonathan has far exceeded my expectations of a big brother. As an only child, I sit in amazement as I watch Tobias and Jonathan get to know each other. Jonathan is in love with his little brother. He says things like, "I love you so much Tobias." "You are the best little brother." "I'll take care of you Tobias." Whatever reservations I had about adding on to our family are gone. When Tobias smiles at Jonathan and tries to grab at him, or when Jonathan sings Tobias a song, I know we did the right thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment